Monday, November 11, 2013

gratitude practice: day 11

whenever i go to the market this time of year, i'm drawn to pomegranates. this beautiful red fruit looks so special. the juice-filled seeds resemble precious jewels and taste sweet with the perfect hint of tartness. however, i usually talk myself out of purchasing one because i don't want to deal with the mess. red juice spots and stains all over myself and the kitchen. 


this time around, i picked one up and took it home with me. it's been sitting on the counter now for about a week. but this afternoon, while jesse dove into some work he had to finish, i decided to open up my pomegranate. i wasn't in a rush to get the seeds. i took my time and enjoyed the process. what in the past had been a kitchen nightmare turned into a mindfulness meditation. i connected with my breath as i slowly cut across the top of the fruit, being careful not to pierce too many of the seeds. then segment by segment, i coaxed the seeds away from the pith and dropped them into the jar. 

i don't know how long it took me to gather all the seeds but really it didn't matter. it was about the process. about being totally absorbed into the moment. and so today i'm thankful for that pomagranate and it's reminder to be present.


today, i'd also like to send a deep bow of gratitude to all the women and men who serve and have served in the military - your commitment and sacrifice provide me (and so many others) with the freedom to live this life that i love each and every day. thankyouthankyouthankyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment